Hunts Building, Kings College
King’s College London was founded in 1829 and is now the second largest school of the University of London. It has upwards of 19,700 students and a ‘top 25’ world ranking for teaching and research. Its nine schools cover a broad range of inter-related subjects.
New Hunt’s House is one of two projects designed by Dyer (in association with Anshen Dyer) as part of the UK’s largest ever university PFI scheme. Purpose-built for the study of molecular biology, it contains 23,000m2 of teaching, research and support facilities, including an Information Services
Centre for the entire school of Biomedical & Health Sciences. The new six-storey building is a high-technology facility integrated into an historic urban campus. Set on a narrow plot, it has been sensitively designed so that its massing and cladding respond to adjacent properties. It is accessible and highly flexible in plan, with services collated into cores at the periphery. The roof level is articulated in a series of towers.
New Hunt’s House is equipped to the highest ICT standards. Facilities include specialist ACDP Class 3 laboratories, flexible laboratories, teaching and research suites, lecture theatres, an electron microscopy centre, library (ISC), conference suite and administration facilities.